It would be wonderful if the present spring-like weather continues through next week. Whatever the weather, I hope all our staff and pupils have an excellent break in the coming days. I am going to a take week away in Gibraltar with Bishop Ralph from this Wednesday. The weather forecast for Gibraltar does not look as good as for the UK!
Fr Andrew is in Brussels this weekend for a Marriage Encounter meeting, but should be back this Sunday evening.
SYNOD AND PULPIT SWAP:
This weekend the priests of the Pastoral Area are swapping parishes once again. We welcome Fr Matthew Nunes, parish priest in Halewood and one of those masterminding the Synod. I know you will give him a warm welcome.
We will be linking our liturgies with the Solemn Opening of the Synod in the Cathedral last Sunday. The more interested and involved we all become, the more likely the Synod will bear much fruit. Like Isaiah and Jesus’ disciples in today’s readings, let’s be open to the call of the Lord. Please take a Synod prayer card from the porch.
The Four SYNOD questions have been confirmed to learn more click here
To complete the SYNOD survey visit https://synod2020.co.uk/resources/survey
As you know, this wonderful country is facing renewed turmoil at this present time. This Monday, Frances Sibert (Bishop Eton) and Gill Bickerstaff (St Mary’s) are flying there to work on the Redemptorist mission for the next few weeks. We wish them safe passage and every blessing in this venture and assure them of our daily prayers.
Please pray for God’s blessing on this venture as the process of listening and formulating propositions begins in earnest.
I am convinced that the arrival of our Syrian family is one of the greatest blessings our parish could have received. The energy and goodwill that it has unleashed is remarkable.
In company with the family, a good number of the team were able to accept the invitation to visit Penny Lane Mosque last Saturday evening. It is hard to put into words the wonderful welcome we received and the atmosphere of goodwill that pervaded the whole event.
Perhaps it is best summed by the fact that, when he spoke, the Imam concentrated on two of the ninety-nine titles of God, namely those which relate to MERCY and PEACE: echoes of Pope Francis?
Next Sunday afternoon at 3.00pm in the Cathedral Archbishop Malcolm will launch the Synod by commissioning all the delegates who will be representing the wider community of priests and people. Please pray for God’s blessing on this venture as the process of listening and formulating propositions begins in earnest.
I managed to look in at that event as well as meeting for a short time with the clergy of Woolton earlier in the morning.
I also attended the Installation of the new vicar of All Saints, Childwall, the Reverend Andrew John Colmer, last Wednesday evening.
My thanks to those of you who continue to ensure that ecumenical contact is maintained wherever possible, notably Jenny Holden and her walking group. Our thanks to the Focolare community for their Open House last Thursday.
OCTAVE OF PRAYER FOR CHRISTIAN UNITY:
We pray during these days, until the Feast of the Conversion of St Paul this coming Friday, that the Lord’s prayer that “we may all be one” will one day be realised. It seems to me that we might usefully extend our prayer this year to include the needs of our country and the rest of Europe as we watch in dismay the interminable wrangling over Brexit and the disunity that accompanies it. I also ask you to pray for the people of Zimbabwe and our Redemptorist mission there as we hear reports of increasing unrest and violence
Page 4 of 38
- Dementia Friendly Afternoon Tea and sing-along
- Bellerive Open Evening
- KSC AND SPUC ROSARY CRUSADE:
- Self Esteem and the Love of God 12-14th July
- Bach Collective "Magnificat" at Liverpool Parish Church
- St Mark’s Church BBQ:
- Organ music at St James Woolton
- Bishop Eton Creation Mass
- St Mary's Shrine Church Warrington - Pro-Life garden fete
- St Edward's Open Evening
- Alpha Course at Animate
- Parish Garden Party on Sunday 30 June.
- St Mary’s College, Crosby
- Summer School for Young Adults (18-35)
- CAFOD Climate pilgrimage
- Come and See October 2019
- One World Group Afternoon tea - cancellation
- TATTON PARK Coach trip
- SYNOD 2020 - Information gathering
- Dementia Friends' Champion training
- Gergely Juhasz - ordination to the diaconate
- Novena 2019
- Thank you from Fr Charles
- Women's Group Newsletter late May 2019
- SYNOD Listening Sessions and associated information
- Homily at Fr Barrie's funeral
- Redemptorist Vocations Prayer
- St Mary's Parish Pilgrimage to Rome and Assisi
- Catholic Link - Pope Francis minute
- DEFIB and FIRST AID Training for Parishioners 9.6.19
- Parish Garden Party - helpers neeed
- Your Parish needs you - can you help?
- Churches together - Young Adults' forum
- Fr Tim - Redemptorist Youth Ministry May 2019
- Catholic Parishes helping Syrian Refugees
- There is more to a person than dementia
- “Could you knit/crochet a blanket for a sick person you may never meet? "
- World Youth Day at home - anyone interested?
- Paintings for Zimbabwe
- New App for 16-35 year olds
- Follow up to the Protection of Minors meeting
- Archdiocesan Lourdes Pilgrimage Association
- Information Day at Sharing view sharing at the Cathedral
- Cathedral Walking Group 30.6.19
- Talk on Spiritual Care at the End of Life:
- Formation Fund
- Celebrate the Child Mass 30.6.19
- Easter Reflections from SYNOD2020
- RLBUHT Chaplaincy volunteers needed
- Animate Gap Year
- Cathedral Concert Society
- Adoremus Te Prayer Group